Saturday, June 18, 2005

Love In Action

I'm completely revolted after reading about Love In Action "ministries" in Memphis, TN. By the way, their web site is down right now, probably because they have received so much traffic. Or they're further cutting themselves off from the rest of the world.

Love In Action, Inc. is a hate group that psychologically abuses teenagers and young gays and lesbians by holding them against their will in order to "turn them straight". They have received lots of press recently in part because one courageous young man (Zach) blogged about his pending incarceration.

"They [Zach's parents] tell me that there is something psychologically wrong with me, and they 'raised me wrong.' I'm a big screw up to them, who isn't on the path God wants me to be on. So I'm sitting here in tears, joinin [sic] the rest of those kids who complain about their parents on blogs and I can't help it," Zach wrote. "I've been through hell. I've been emotionally torn apart for three days... I can't remember which days they were ... time's not what it used to be," the teen wrote in his last blog entry on June 3.


Let's hope he comes out ok and that he can continue on with his life. Zach also posts pages and pages of Love In Action rules on his website. The rules are so long, detailed and full of "don'ts" that anyone would eventually break one even without trying. The entire "ministry" sets up their abusees for failure.

The one rule that stands out as particularly ironic if not abusive: 1. Be honest, authentic, and real.

How can these prisoners be true to themselves when told they are lowly scum?

No comments: