Saturday, May 21, 2005

Love is in the Air

The recurring theme lately seems to be marriage; marriage in general, and Gay marriage specifically.

My brother and now wife were married last weekend in St. Louis. (I was the best man. I had a post written but never posted.) Then I read with delight about Scott and Ian's wedding in The Netherlands. Now, Matt writes about the 2nd Annual Wedding March.

Jeffrey and I have talked about marriage on many occasions. I know Jeffrey is ready. My god, we're already living together. We share financial responsibilty. We share time with each other's family. So it wouldn't be such a big step. I know at this point Jeffrey is waiting for me to ask him because he tells me he doesn't want to feel rejected. Yes, I'm the one dragging my feet.

I don't know what's holding me back. Its not insecurity about the relationship. We've weathered many crisis in both our lives over the past two years that would challenge any commited couple. Its not lack of acceptance on the part of my family. They'd love to go to our wedding. They would have no problem with it whatsoever. So really, I don't know what the hold up is. Maybe I'm waiting for some sign. Maybe I just have the proverbial gay conflict: commitment-aphobia.

I guess this is one of those items that should go on my "things-to-work-on" list.

No comments: